Tuesday, September 7, 2010

tiny brushes, steady hands



I was quite taken by the extraordinary details and level of skill involved in creating a thangka, a traditional Buddhist painting used as a tool of focus during meditation. A thangka often depicts deities or a mandala, and is painted with a mixture of finely ground natural pigment, water and animal glue on stretched cotton or silk. Some of the brushes the painters were using appeared to have about four hairs in them! The lines were so fine and patterns so intricate, I was reminded of Ottoman miniature painting. I'd love to spend some time with a master and learn some techniques— I'm wild about the line work and colour application.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when I use the religious and cultural background do not understand, this art is an eye catcher. I love motifs. Thank you for showing the beautiful photos.

szaza said...

You are most welcome, Catzia!
I know what you mean, I do not understand very much about thangkas, but what I do know is that they are incredibly beautiful and mesmerising.

The artistic skill in these paintings is astounding.

Josu Armaolea said...

It looks like a mandala. I love your blog.

szaza said...

Thank you so much, Josu!
I'm very happy to hear that.

It is a mandala :)