Sunday, November 21, 2010

morfar



The week before I left for Denmark, I received the news that my grandad is ill. In some way I suppose I sensed it, and wanted to visit his homeland to connect with him in some way— to see what he has seen, eat what he has eaten and feel what he might have felt. I used to see my grandparents all the time when I lived in San Francisco, but now that I have moved to Istanbul, I haven't seen them in over a year. My grandad is one of my most favourite people; his strange sense of humour, his wry grin, his honesty and vast knowledge of swear words in both Danish and English are just a few of the things I love about him.



Grandpap, I'll be seeing you in a little while.
Jeg elsker dig.

4 comments:

barbara said...

As usual, your photo's - wonderful - thanks for a look at Denmark that normally I wouldn't come across or see....

The problem with your photos is that I now have to win the lottery so that I can travel to Nepal, Istanbul and now Denmark! 8-) and since the chances of that are slim to nil I'll just enjoy, enjoy your blog and photos!

My very best "get well" wishes to your Grandfather, he sounds like a very neat person!

Barbara

szaza said...

Thank you so much, Barbara!
I'm always so happy to hear this blog is appreciated and enjoyed.

Well, I cross my fingers that you win the lottery and some miracle makes my grandad well.

black bear cabin said...

Im sorry to hear your grandfather is ill...im sending warm hugs to you and him, in hopes he will feel better soon. It is difficult to be far from family during times like this, but perhaps being in his old stomping grounds will bring you some comfort and pleasant memories.

szaza said...

Thank you Lisa, it was a wonderful journey.