Monday, August 3, 2015

the other side



I wasn't sure how easy it would be to cross the border from Northern Cyprus into Cyprus, and after discovering that it was an anticlimactic showing of a passport at a window and getting waved on, I kind of wish we had lengthened our little holiday to spend more time on the other side.



The contrast really was palpable; church bells instead of an azan, shorter hemlines, Greek signage, Armenian cafés, and one treat that I suspected I would find, and was thrilled to order:



Ah, the frappe! Though they are ridiculously easy to make at home, the last time I enjoyed one of these babies was on my trip to Athens in 2010. It's really just Nescafé, cold water, ice, and a bit of sugar all shaken up, so there's no excuse. After cooling off with our delightful frappes, we wandered around a bit before heading back to the northern side.

1 comment:

Hannibal Lecteur said...

haha it made me laugh to read your reaction about the "frappe" because i feel the same: my last one was in 2011, it's ridiculously easy to make, but i'm afraid if i make myself one at home it won't taste like in Athens :) Great post as usual and great photos!